- Category: Vegetarian , Vegan , Sattvic , Rajasic , Vegetables
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 potatoes (about 5oz each), peeled, boiled, and mashed
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Pinch of red chili powder
- Slice a small piece off the top of each pepper and remove the seeds and white membranes.
- Place the mashed potatoes in a medium bowl. Add the lime juice, turmeric, and salt. For the Rajasic variation, also add the red chili powder. Mix well. Spoon the potato mixture into the prepared peppers until they are nearly full.
- Heat the oil in a deep sauté pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the asafetida and fennel seeds. When the seeds start to splutter, place the stuffed peppers, top side up, in the pan. Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn the peppers upside down, without allowing the stuffing to fall out. (Note: Some fennel seeds should cling to the stuffing.) Continue to cook over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes longer.
- Turn the peppers top side up. Test each pepper for doneness by gently pushing against the side. When the pepper is fully cooked, it will feel soft.
- When the peppers are done, remove the pan from the heat and allow the peppers to cool slightly before serving.
Did You Know?
Brightly colored vegetables like yellow and red bell peppers are excellent sources of vitamins C and A, powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties.